You will need:
- Colours: Schmincke HORADAM® AQUARELL watercolours in Ivory black (780), Hematiteblack (789), Cobalt violet hue (473), Perylene violet (371), Quinacridone Purple (472), Ultramarine blue (496), Cobalt cerulean (499), Cadmium yellow lemon (223), Cadmium yellow middle (225), Indian yellow (220), Saturn red (359), Permanent red orange (360), Scarlet red (363)
- Paper: Hahnemühle Leonardo 600 g/m2 76x56 cm
- Sketch Book: Hahnemühle Watercolour book
- Brushes: da Vinci: series 550, 30mm, series 5588: Cosmotop-spin (N24) and round (N10, N6), series 5519: size 5, 2.85 mm, series 418: French watercolour brush N10
- Schmincke Liquid frisket, neutral or coloured (50300, 50303) or Masking fluid, neutral or coloured (50730, 50731)
- Opaque white
Visiting the Creative World Fair is always a fantastic way to get inspired. Lots of working materials and the contact to exhibitors and artists - all thoughts are about creating, painting, for me especially about watercolour painting. Completely inspired, I would like to capture the atmosphere of an Frankfurt Fair building in the evening light.
To get a feeling for the final composition, I often start with a sketch in my very useful sketchbook. Thus, I can try out the composition and the order of painting steps I have in my mind. The sketchbook also helps to capture the atmosphere of a scene. In short, it is my small diary, wherein I paint instead of writing down my thoughts.
Let's start this watercolour painting! I start by wetting the sky parts and then add the chosen colours ivory black, hematite black, quinacridone purple and cobalt violet hue. The foggy impression is created by the granulation character of cobalt violet hue as well as hematite black. In the still wet colour I add Indian yellow, cadmium yellow middle and permanent orange for the light effects in the sky. Finally, I paint the spotlights. With a wet brush, I add the effects of the two light cones onto the paper.
In this step, I remove the masking fluid of the persons and cover the silhouettes with already remaining colours. The transparent silhouettes will be filled with quinacridone purple to remain transparent. Then, I remove the masked parts and vivify the office buildings by painting some windows in a shining yellow. Finally, I add some small stars with opaque white.